Friday 20th April 2012
The Reading Room & Cuillin FM present the Reading the Waves 2012 Script Writing Competition
Do you listen to conversations in the shops or in the pub, think that’s interesting or funny and wonder how it would sound on radio or TV? Well, we’re offering you the chance to find out!
Following the success of the Baker Prize writing competition, Cuillin FM is pleased to be supporting the Reading Room’s new writing competition – Reading the Waves 2012.
We’re looking for 15-minute radio plays to be performed on a Reading Room Radio Show Special programme broadcast by Cuillin FM .
The theme for your radio play is Island Rumours / Fathan an eilein – we think this will offer lots of scope for all kinds of scripts.
The closing date for submission is midday on 30 June. Winners will be announced at the August event of the Skye Reading Room (date to be confirmed)
And, just to help you out, we have a script writing workshop with the highly acclaimed Ian MacPherson on 23rd April in The Skeabost Country House Hotel between 2pm and 5pm. (please book via website or firstname.lastname@example.org )
You can submit entries as an individual or as a group – entrants must be over 16 years old.
Submission of Scripts:
Please read and follow these guidelines:
● Scripts must be 15 minutes in length (this equates to approximately 15 -18 pages). The best way to estimate the length of your script is to read it aloud.
● Scripts must be suitable for broadcast on the community radio station during the day
● Have a minimum of 2 characters and a maximum of 4 characters.
● Scripts can be submitted in Gaelic and/or English - there will be a winner and a highly-commended in both Gaelic and English.
● Submissions must be formatted as a script, include the play’s title as a header on each page, have no identifying author/s name anywhere on the script and be submitted with the Reading the Waves cover sheet giving the author/s names and contact details.
● Entries will not be returned to you so please ensure you keep copies.
● Entries can be sent to us via email at the Reading Room website – http://theskyereadingroom.wordpress.com/ or by post to Charlotte Johnson, Reading the Waves 2012, CuillinFM, Stormyhill Road, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9DY.
Entry fee: There is an entry fee of £5 per script submitted – payment by Paypal can be made via the Reading Room website at the time of submission and cheques are payable to The Reading Room and include with submissions.
The Reading the Waves 2012 prize: Winners will have their scripts performed at the September Seomar Leughaidh/Reading Room event. Winning scripts will be published on the Skye Reading Room website and winners will be interviewed for the Reading Room Radio Show and have their winning entries recorded and broadcast on Cuillin FM. By submitting a script, entrants are agreeing to all of the aforementioned.
Please note: The Skye Reading Room & Cuillin FM are unable to pay winners any expenses associated with attending the September Reading Room event or the recording of interviews and plays to be broadcast on Cuillin FM. Where winners are not able to attend events or be interviewed, the Reading Room will make suitable alternative arrangements to have plays performed. By submitting scripts entrants are agreeing to all of the terms of the competition.